In Collaboration with IIT Bombay
- BETiC : Biomedical Engineering and Technology (incubation) Centre
- A network of medical device R&D facilities at Gyanmanjari Institute of Technology, Bhavnagar.
- These were set up by the Government of Gujarat to accelerate indigenous development and manufacture of medical devices suitable for the local population.
- The centers have about 4 multi-disciplinary faculties, researchers and students, collaborating with an equal number of expert clinicians from top hospitals in Gujarat to identify unmet clinical needs and develop novel yet affordable solutions.
- Establishing an integrated facility
- Developing selected medical devices
- Device manufacturing and testing
- Facilitating ‘bench-to-bed’ translation
- Training suitable human resources.
- The journey usually starts from a medical device innovation camp (MEDIC), where the participants are trained how to define, develop, deliver and deploy a medical device. Successful innovators are invited to join BETiC, where they are mentored and supported till the ‘edge of commercialization’ – leading to start-ups or licensing.
- If you find this interesting, and would like to contribute in way – as a doctor, researcher, entrepreneur, investor or facilitator, please do visit or get in touch with us.
- Many clinicians approach BETiC with pressing problems like low-cost devices to screen rural patients or reusable surgical instruments.
- Depending on their academic background and professional experience, interns are put on a mentor-guided self-learning programme in various labs to fill any gaps in their skill-sets essential for medical device innovation.
- This includes Soft skills like empathizing with patients, professionalism, team-work, effective meetings and presentations, project and document management, and handling visitors are also honed.
Steps to Medical Device Innovation
- Clinical Immersion
- Problem Definition
- Concept & Feasibility
- Detailed Design
- Engineering Analysis
- Clinical Trials
- During this period, the interns explore and select suitable medical device projects.
- They meet clinicians, conduct market surveys, and scan relevant patents. Solution ideas are generated, proof-of-concepts are fabricated, and feedback is sought from domain experts to establish the feasibility of the project.